Since it first opened in 1928, The Orpheum has dazzled patrons with its artisan millwork, gilding, original fixtures, and architectural beauty.
The Orpheum was one of the first buildings in Memphis placed on the National Historic Register. With annual maintenance expenses of over $650,000, in the last 35 years The Orpheum has undergone $15 million in renovation and improvements that have made it a world-class performing arts facility without damaging the historical and architectural integrity of the vaudeville palace.
In 2010, the Orpheum updated its infrared hearing system and added state-of-the-art electronic marquee.
Some anticipated 2011 preservation projects include repairing exterior brick mortar, designing expanded ladies restroom facilities, and replacing the public elevator.