2014 Summer Movie Series
The Orpheum Theatre announces the official 2014 schedule for its annual Classic Summer Movie Series. Presented for a third year by Orion Federal Credit Union, this year’s series consists of fan favorites and audience picks. The series will run from May 30 to September 5 at the Orpheum Theatre.
“The Classic Summer Movie Series has grown considerably in popularity over the past few summers, and during that time patrons have sent us great suggestions,” said Orpheum President and CEO Pat Halloran. “This season we’ve focused on putting together the titles and types of films that our Movie Series fans have requested, all of which stand the test of time and are classics in their own right.”
Included in the Classic Summer Movie Series are popular titles, double features, “girls’ night out” favorites, sing-alongs, and family matinees. Notable movies include The Princess Bride, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Steel Magnolias, and The Wizard of Oz Sing-Along. For Clue, fans will be able to vote on social media for which ending they would like to see. The Double Feature Night of the Living Dead and Zombieland will take place on the night of the Memphis Zombie Walk, and Jaws will be screened during Discovery Channel’s annual Shark Week.
The Orpheum will continue to offer exciting, fun-filled activities in the Orpheum lobby prior to each film. Types of pre-movie activities include movie trivia, costume contests, beer tastings, photo booths, special guest appearances, drink specials, and pre-show concerts on The Orpheum’s Mighty Wurlitzer Organ.
To honor the life of the late Shirley Temple, The Orpheum will host a special Tea Party prior to the matinee showing of The Little Princess, which features the child star. This $20 ticketed event is limited to 100 guests and includes tea, sandwiches, fruit, sweets, beverages, and admission to the movie. All who attend the movie are encouraged to wear their favorite regal attire.
While the Orpheum Theatre regrets that Gone With The Wind will not appear in this year’s series due to suspended licensing during the film’s 75th Anniversary, other beloved annual classics such as Casablanca and Breakfast at Tiffany’s will be presented.
Tickets for the Orpheum’s 2014 Classic Summer Movie Series go on sale Thursday, May 1st at 10:00 AM. Tickets are $7 for adults and $5 for children under 12. Packages of ten tickets are available for $50 and may be used for a single movie or spread throughout series, making Movie Series packages the perfect Mother’s Day and Father’s Day gifts.
Parties of ten or more can enjoy special rates to create the perfect outing for groups, clubs, employees, or volunteers. For Day Cares, Summer Camps, and other student groups, attractive Matinee packages start at just $3 per person. Contact Sinclaire Montgomery at [email protected] or 901.529.4226 for all group inquiries.
Individual tickets can be purchased online at the official Orpheum Theatre website, www.orpheum-memphis.com, The Orpheum Box Office (901.525.3000), the ticket counter at The Booksellers at Laurelwood, and all Ticketmaster centers (901.743.ARTS). Movie Series packages of ten may be purchased by phone or in person at The Orpheum Box Office or the ticket counter at The Booksellers at Laurelwood only.
THE ORPHEUM THEATRE’S OFFICIAL 2014 CLASSIC SUMMER MOVIE SERIES
- Friday, May 30 at 7:00 PM DOUBLE FEATURE: Night of the Living Dead and Zombieland
- Thursday, June 5 at 7:00 PM Breakfast at Tiffany’s
- Friday, June 6 at 7:00 PM National Lampoon’s Vacation
- Thursday, June 12 at 7:00 PM DOUBLE FEATURE: Father of the Bride (1991) and Bridesmaids
- Friday, June 13 at 7:00 PM Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
- Thursday, June 19 at 7:00 PM Mamma Mia Sing-Along
- Friday, June 20 at 7:00 PM Monty Python and the Holy Grail
- Thursday, July 10 at 7:00 PM Clue
- Friday, July 11 at 7:00 PM Office Space
- Wednesday, July 16 at 1:30 PM FAMILY MATINEE: Babe
- Thursday, July 17 at 7:00 PM The Wizard of Oz Sing-Along
- Friday, July 18 at 7:00 PM Labyrinth
- Thursday, July 24 at 7:00 PM Steel Magnolias
- Friday, July 25 at 1:30 PM FAMILY MATINEE: Shirley Temple in The Little Princess
- Friday, July 25 at 7:00 PM Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- Thursday, July 31 at 7:00 PM Grease Sing-along
- Friday, August 1 at 7:00 PM The Princess Bride
- Friday, August 8 at 7:00 PM Jaws
- Friday, August 22 at 7:00 PM Casablanca
- Friday, September 5 at 8:00 PM The Rocky Horror Picture Show
Click Here to view and download a PDF of the schedule.
About The Orpheum Theatre
The Orpheum Theatre is operated by the Memphis Development Foundation, a non-profit organization that depends on the financial support of the community to carry out its mission to foster the enjoyment and understanding of the arts in Memphis, as well as the economic prosperity of Downtown and surrounding areas. For more information, visit www.orpheum-memphis.com or call 901-525-7800. The Orpheum is located at 203 South Main Street Memphis, TN 38103.